Dr. Tom Hall – Director of Substance Abuse Prevention Services at UCF Student Health Services.
Troy Garcia – CFP®, Financial Advisor at Allen & Company
Today’s show will discuss the topics of Back to School and how to budget and prepare financially for the school year, financial concerns regarding Student Debt, and how to plan for you or your Students’ Educational Future. We will also talk Investing 101 and welcome special guest include Dr. Tom Hall from UCF.
In this episode we cover:
- Corporate Earnings and how they are the lifeblood of the Financial world (2:07)
- Back to School topics and what to prepare for financially (3:35)
- Who to talk to regarding College Scholarships and College Applications (5:59)
- 529 prepaid and the College Savings Plans (10:06)
- Ways to avoid Debt while pursuing a College Education (10:25)
- Guest Dr. Tom Hall, Director of Substance Abuse Prevention services at UCF Student Health Services. (20:00)
- How to transition as a parent with a child going to College or as a prospective College student (21:03)
- The effects of Foreign and Domestic Terrorism on a college campus (32:43)
- On/off campus Resources available to parents of college students (35:53)
- College Students and the new targets of the Drug Cartel (40:42)
Links From the Show:
By year 2020 an estimated 2/3 of jobs will require post-secondary education or training. – Laura Hawley, CFP®, Senior Vice President at Allen & Company.
Nearly half of all students who will start college this fall will not graduate within 6 years. – Laura Hawley, CFP®, Senior Vice President at Allen & Company.
College is a great driver of socioeconomic mobility, but it’s also a great driver of debt. – Laura Hawley, CFP®, Senior Vice President at Allen & Company.
There are opportunities out there to go to college, but it takes planning, it takes time, and it takes research to find those dollars out there. – Laura Hawley, CFP®, Senior Vice President at Allen & Company.
In the last 20 years there has been a steady decrease among 8th, 10th, and 12th graders in their drinking of up to a 50% decrease of heavy drinking (binge drinking). – Monitoring the Future/National Institute on Drug Abuse
About LAURA HAWLEY
Laura began her lifelong career at Allen & Company as one of the youngest Financial Advisors in Florida more than 30 years ago.
A CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™, Laura joined Allen & Company in 1983 and now serves as Senior Vice President and Chairperson of the Executive Committee. In addition, she was appointed to the Board of Directors in 2001. Laura played a crucial role in establishing the Viera office and served as Branch Manager until 2015. She holds Series 7, 66 and 24 licenses, as well as her Life, Health and Variable Annuities.
Laura’s holistic approach to financial planning, and her passion...