Laura Hawley – CFP®, President at Allen & Company
Dana Hurley – Financial Advisor at Allen & Company
In this episode we take a look at the 2017 year in review and discuss the election, the US economy, the US unemployment rate, the obesity epidemic, and the new Tax Bill of 2017.
In this episode we cover:
- Economic Compass (1:30)
- 2017 year in review and the impact certain events had on the market (4:07)
- Weather and how it impacted the Florida economy and markets in 2017 (9:54)
- Advances in technology and the role it plays in driving the economy (14:12)
- The epidemic of obesity and how it affected the economy in 2017 (17:00)
- The financial hangover from 2017 and how you can recover (21:37)
- Preparing a budget and where to start (23:23)
- The Tax Bill of 2017 and what it means for the average citizen (33:19)
- Changes to deductions under the new Tax Bill (36:44)
Links From the Show:
The tax law will not affect 99% of Floridians (as far as the ability to deduct). – Laura Hawley, CFP®, President at Allen & Company
The rise in obesity in our children has been tremendous. – Dana Hurley, Financial Advisor at Allen & Company.
The US suffered more than $200 billion worth of damage from the 17 named storms in 2017. – Dana Hurley, Financial Advisor at Allen & Company
Polk County was the 5th largest obese county in the nation. – Dana Hurley, Financial Advisor at Allen & Company
About LAURA HAWLEY
Laura began her lifelong career at Allen & Company as one of the youngest Financial Advisors in Florida more than 30 years ago.
A CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™, Laura joined Allen & Company in 1983 and now serves as President and Chairperson of the Executive Committee. In addition, she was appointed to the Board of Directors in 2001. Laura played a crucial role in establishing the Viera office and served as Branch Manager until 2015. She holds Series 7, 66 and 24 licenses, as well as her Life, Health and Variable Annuities.
Laura’s holistic approach to financial planning, and her passion for teaching...